Sunday, April 26, 2009

What?! You've gotta be kidding me!

It's Sunday night. I should be in Columbus. I am not. I'll explain later.

Last night was rough cause Josh was up again in the middle of the night for about 3 hours and Sheila just could not get up this morning. So I went to church by myself. She slept, he slept, they all slept in. I'm sitting in Sunday school next to my sister-in-law, (my wife's brothers wife) and the topic under discussion is the Holiness of God. What does the bible mean when it says "Be holy as I am Holy." That's God speaking by the way. My sister-in-law is paying better attention than I am, probably got more sleep, but I'm trying. And the teacher says something about do we feel a "need" for God. Shortly thereafter, my sister-in-law hands me a note and this is what it says, word for word, I swear.

"Do you want me or do you just want me to meet your needs?"

Apparently I did not catch the last thought that was put out there by the teacher because the look of surprise on my face caused my sis-in-law's face to turn a bit red.

"NOT ME!" she whispers. "That's what I think God is saying."

"Oh. Okay. Well, I was wondering there...never mind. Gotcha, I see what you mean. Yeah, I'd agree."

"Just shut up, John."

"Okay, I'll shut up." and we both had a good snicker over that one. I need to pay better attention and she needs to write more precise notes.

So I get home, finish up fixin' lunch, do some paperwork for my son at OSU for his financial aid, pack my stuff and have Hana run me to the shop cause she needs my truck while I'm gone. I get there, load my stuff, do my walk around and start heading through town. Now, I promise you, I checked the tires. Did I put a gauge to them, no. But I did thump them all. I'm rolling through town, both windows are down cause it's warm and my AC needs recharged after the winter and I start hearing this clicking sound. Hmmm. Sounds like a rock in the tread. But not quite. A little louder than it ought to be. I'm on city streets, nowhere to stop and check but the road opens up in front of me a ways so I figure I'll pull over up there and check it out. Too late.

Consider one trailer tire a total loss. In that last 100 yards the tire came apart and bent my mudflap iron up into the bottom of the trailer. You've got to be kidding me. It was warm out but I was only doing about 35 when she blew. I have the crappiest luck with tires.

So after a talk with the boss, he determines that since I'm still in town, I'll just run it over to his tire man's shop, let them fix it when they get in in the morning and be a few hours behind. Since I have no set appointments on my run, (just supposed to be there on certain days) it all might work out. I might have to move Lafayette to Tuesday instead of Monday, we'll see.

So here I sit, thirty minutes from home with no way to get there. At least it's supposed to be a sunny day tomorrow. And maybe I'll get a good nights sleep tonight.

3 comments:

Mom said...

That note might be useful some day. Better keep it.
Truck drivers live such a glamorous life.

Anne said...

great note.

sorry 'bout the tire. You need to put a bicycle in your cab so you can ride home in times of bad tires.

AM Kingsfield said...

If it's not one thing it's another, eh?
Myabe your SIL thought you looked sleepy. That sure woke you right up!