Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So?

Our house is old, say 100 to 120 years. The basement is unusable but for the laundry and storage and the one car garage, which has never held our car in the five years we've been there, has a gravel floor and a door that opens to the side like a bi-fold closet door. OLD!

We keep our trash in the garage and once a week I throw it in the back of my truck and take it to work and dump, in the big ram-powered dumpster, not in the boss's office.

Our outside door to the garage does not always get closed properly where it will stay shut and not swing open so we have had a problem with animals getting into the trash.

I told you that to tell you this.

I'm laying in bed the other night, having just fallen asleep maybe thirty minutes before, when Hana, our eldest, comes running in the room.

"Dad! There's a big possum in the garage getting into the trash! Lucy's going nuts trying to get at it!"

So I jumped out of bed, grabbed my housecoat, and yes, I do wear one sometimes, and ran down the stairs, Hana hot on my heels.

I get to the door from the kitchen to the basement stairs which also goes on out to the garage, and Lucy, our Rat Terrier, is sniffing and snuffling, barking and howling at the door, trying to claw her way through to get to this monster so that she can do her duty as our protector and kill it.

I shoo her out of the way, grab a broom (knowing full well not to approach a possum unarmed) and head out to do battle. I ease open the garage door and I see nothing but trash scattered on the gravel floor, a familiar sight by now. I see no possum. Maybe he/she is hiding behind the various and asundry boxes, implements, and empty paints cans that call my garage home.

So I start beating about with the stick, smacking boxes, cans, shelves, tools, counters, empty barrels, old fans, washtubs, doors, walls, table saws, thesaurusi, all in an attempt to disturb this varmint into showing him/herself.

Then it hits me. What's the expression, that idiosyncrasy, that mannerism that defines these minute members of the mammalian marsupial menagerie?

You guessed it. "Playing Possum!" And what does this mean. Well, for those city dwellers among you who are not familiar with the thought processes of the animal kingdom, a possum will roll over and act as though they are dead. Much like a middle-aged American Male.

So here I am, in my bathrobe with no belt, and the briefs that lie beneath, swinging my lance of choice around in the garage in the middle of the night trying to disturb an animal who has learned that if he/she just lays there quietly the mean old fat man will soon go away.

And then it hits me. What am I doing? And more importantly, WHY am I doing it? What do I care if this possum eats my trash? It's already made a mess. I can clean it up tomorrow and nail the garage door shut. It's not like he's gonna get into the house.

So with as much dignity as I can muster, I gather my robe together, and with lance in one hand and Rat Terrier in the other, I concede this particular battle to Joe/Jane Possum, and march into my house.

My daughter says, "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to bed."

"What about the possum?"

"What about him?" I ask.

"But he's still out there!" she squeals.

"Yes," I say. "He most likely is still out there. But the "Out-There" belongs to him. The "In-Here" belongs to me. And as long as we both respect each others territory, I think we'll be okay."

"But..."

"I'm going to bed." And off I went. I get upstairs and Sheila says, "What was that all about?"

"There's a possum in the garage," I said.

"Oh. Okay," she said, and rolled over and went back to sleep.

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

Those critters can be fierce when they're cornered. You were wise to choose your battles.

Joel said...

We occasionally leave the garage door up 6 inches or so so the cats can come in out of the rain/sun/boredom to feed. And I kept having to go re-fill the cat food. It seemed like the cat's were really going through their food.

So I'm out there futzing around and see a possum slowly amble under the work bench. So I too get the lance of choice (broom handle) and shoo him out. He ambles behind the welder and sits between the welder and the garage door, content to wait me out, not having any life to speak of, apparently. Come to think of it, I too was out in the garage ambling around. Hmm.

But the welder is on casters and I get the brilliant idea to squish him out, so I push the welder into him, trying to encourage him to go explore someone else s garage. He just sits there, glaring at me and baring his long, sharp teeth.

But, being a quick study at these sort of things, it soon occurs to me he can't get out because I've squished him into the garage door with the welder. So I pull the welder back and he immediately starts his not so rushed ambling towards the other partially raised garage door and freedom. I must have pissed him off because he's never come back to munch the cat food or explore under the work bench.

I tell you all that to say that possums can be ornery when cornered and a house coat and broom handle probably are ok to sweep the kitchen with but not to do battle with a somewhat dumb, fanged animal. Best have some boots and a .30-30.