Saturday, January 23, 2010

Good, Bad, and Ugly

It's been a long time. I feel disconnected. I miss you guys. Sniff.

We had a good Christmas. I made my wife cry. But it was a good cry. See, she's one of those lady's where it's all about the kids. "Don't get me anything. Money's tight and the kids need it more than I do." And my sister would ask, "You didn't listen to her, did you?"
No, sis, I did not.
Sheila's into scrapbooking. The one and only thing that she has ever asked for was a Cricut Personal Cutter. And no, it's not a lady's razor. It's a computerized letter and shape cutter. Very cool. The only thing she's ever asked for specifically.
They were on sale at less than half price at Joanne Fabrics this year. Sheila was very, very happy. And you know what the old saying is; If Momma ain't happy...run for your lives!

Work is good. The weather hasn't been too bad. I've missed most of the bad roads and for that I am grateful.

It's January so I'm back in the sound booth at church announcing for the Upwards basketball games and having fun.

Josh has been progressing. Sheila's still getting him to the commode most mornings before he's already seen the man about the dog. And he's getting the hand, or should I say handle, of a spoon and fork. Soup is not a fun meal, but the dog loves it when Josh eats chicken or beef.

Preston has lost a few teeth. And yes, the normal way, no help from family. He's playing basketball again this year and loving it.

We got word Isaac needs his adenoids taken out. So the surgery was scheduled for this Friday. Sheila tells me last night that the doctor called and said that Isaac has not met his insurance deductible yet and they need $250 by Wednesday or they won't do the surgery on Friday. I don't know how others feel about this but it really irritated me. Sheila was ok with it. Maybe it's just me. My comment to her was that I couldn't think of any other service industry where you are forced to pay BEFORE you receive the service. And then to say that it has to be paid by Wednesday which is two days before the surgery, and only five days away. Most folks would put it on the credit card or something like that but we don't have any credit cards, which has saved our collective butts more than once. So, I don't know. Not sure what we're gonna do. And then that got me to thinking, maybe I should get a second opinion anyway. I mean, it is surgery and it got scheduled pretty fast. One more thing to think about.

It appears my compassion level is dropping. Not sure why, but I seem to have less concern about the plight of others. And it worries me. I'm usually not that way. But it seems like every time I turn around there's a new ad or plea for some charitable organization or other. Someone wants money to support these folks or those kids or that organization. And I'm thinking, why should worry about them? And then I feel guilty, and then I get mad at myself for feeling guilty, and then I get tired and then I take a nap.

Maybe I'm just trying to isolate myself. I know this is a little bit of a ramble, so bear with me. I see folks around me who go to work, and then come home to their families and relax and watch TV together and have their hobbies like model trains or bowling, and I think, when does that happen in my house? Someone has to go here and the other kid has to go there and this person needs this, that or the other thing. Now, granted, my wife does most of the running around, but I miss her. I long for the days when I can sit with her and just revel in her presence. Am I gearing up for retirement? (Which will probably not happen anytime soon, considering the state of my retirement portfolio.)

So...

I don't know. I just wish I weren't so hard-hearted lately.

Maybe next week...

But...I have a good wife, very pretty, very sweet; and a great family.

Ya'll have fun.

Maybe I should lay off the Vicodin.

5 comments:

Terry said...

I got 2 things for you.
1) if you dont feel 100% percent about the first diagnosis, by all means, get another. I had been diagnosed with a gall bladder issue, and sent home with medication. 10 days later my appendix ruptured!! Thankfully, I was at the DR getting a second opinion when they screamed for emergency surgery. I ruptured on the gurney. Talk about misdiagnosis.

And 2) I am exactly where you are at. I have been feeling less than sympathetic lately. Not so much with large charities,but rather individuals wanting justification. I see so many who feel that they have been wronged and are screaming for restitution, but in reality they made a bad decision that resulted in bad consequences. I just feel if I have to work to support my lifestyle, I am also responsible for my bad decisions. Why should others get rewarded for it. But, my point is this..with so many more asking for help, we tend to get numb to the need. I do not want to be hard-hearted either :-( It is not my normal nature.

Mom said...

John, you are one of the most compassionate people I know. The people who live in your house are constant recipients of you compassion. It is impossible to feel compassion for all of the non-stop needs we see.
It was a wise decision to buy your beloved a wonderful present.

Mom said...

One more thing - you have to wait until they all grow up and leave home and you both are retired and then once in a while you get a quiet evening at home. Be patient. You have a long time to wait for that time.

AM Kingsfield said...

I know how you feel about the hands always out for more money. You give more than you should. And you give more than your money. Taking care of your family is the most important thing. Making Sheila happy is important too.

I hope you vote Democratic, if you feel credit card companies and insurance companies have too much freedom.

Unknown said...

Want to know something? We missed you too! Glad to have an update and thanks for stopping by my blog. Always happy to have you visit my friend!