Saturday, November 17, 2007

Toughman

I went to a Toughman competition Friday with a friend from church. Her husband had received free ringside VIP tickets from work and she really wanted to go but her husband didn't want to go. He also didn't want her to go alone or with another girlfriend, these shows being what they are, and so she asked my wife if she would mind if I went with her. Then she asked me. I said sure and it was pretty cool. Not exactly what I thought but fun for a night out of the house.

My friend is a boxing fan and I follow it sometimes. I guess as far as these fights here, I was expecting more than I saw. Mostly guys off the street who thought they were good fighters. Didn't look like any more than 5 of them had trained at all or were in decent shape and that's out of 43 fighters. The fights mostly looked like playground brawls. Lots of arm swinging and wild throws.

As I said, it was fun for a night out but I wouldn't spend my own money on it. Free tickets are hard to turn down though. One sad note was that there were two fighters who were 38 and 43. the announcer said they were fighting in the Senior Division. 38 is a senior?! Maybe I can get my coffee discounted at McDonalds now.

Me, I'm not much of a fighter. Never have been. Never really needed to. Most fellows were scared off by my dashing good looks and my extreme confident demeanor. That and the quivering lower lip and tears running down my face.

But you can call me Braveheart.

4 comments:

Mom said...

About winking = sometime young women wink at men in the Senior Division to make them feel young. Maybe she was being kind to an old guy.

AM Kingsfield said...

I saw Andre the Giant at a WWF match back in high school.
But I hate watching fights. I'm constantly battling the urge to break it up. Wrestling is the worst.

Anne said...

I saw a fight at the local amusement park in '06. It separated me from my boy and I didn't like that, just don't like fights. I don't even like the meaner competitions on Survivor

John said...

Speaking of fights...Mom, that was below the belt! Old guy indeed!
AM, I liked Andre best in The Princess Bride.
Anne, I read your blog about that one. That would be scary, I am sure.