Saturday, June 14, 2008

Are we having fun yet?...You bet!!!!!!!!!!


During our last episode we learned that Sheila's car was broken down, as was John's, and Hana's as well. This all happened after John had recently received a brand new 80 gig Ipod for Father's Day, Anniversary, Birthday, and Halloween. In a typical sense of priortization, John's truck has been repaired. Hey, It was the cheapest fix. Actually Hana's was the cheapest fix but climbing in and out of that little thing is like driving a clown car. And no air conditioning either. Imagine squeezing yourself into a tin can full of mildewed clothes and then throwing yourself down a hill. This is "driving Hana's car".





So...all other energies have been expended on learning the ins and outs of this new marvel of technology, the Apple 80 gig Ipod. Can you say "Obsessed"? I am beginning to think that maybe Sheila is regretting the purchase of this apparatus for her favorite man. John has spent quite a bit of time exploring the loading and listening capabilities of this little marvel. I must say though, the miles literally FLY by with that toy in use. I got caught in a major detour last Monday since I-70 was shut down due to rain. Word was that a portion of it had washed out between exits 41 and 23 in Indiana. All I know is that it took me 4 hours to go 66 miles. I was quite calm. Probably too much so. I was sitting in the backup and noticed the weather had turned quite nasty again. Maybe I should take my earplugs out and see what the weather station has to say.





"The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for this county and that county and the other county. This storm is tracking northeast at 36 miles per hour. Towns in it's course are Podunk, Pittling, Miniville, Minortown, and Notmuch. If you are in the path of this storm you should seek shelter immediately. This storm contains nickel size hail and damaging winds up to 60 miles per hour."





I just went through a little town. What was the name again. Peaster? Poolville? Pittling! That was it. Pittling. Hmm. Big truck. No houses around. Wind is whipping. Trees are swaying. Wonder where I should go. I was between trees and not out on an open stretch so I figured I would probably be okay. I figured right. One thing I learned...well, two things. One, when the rain is blowing sideways at the left front corner of my truck my windshield will leak a little bit. Not much, just a little. Two, maybe I should take the earplugs out a little earlier if the weather changes. It is illegal to drive with earplugs anyway in most states anyway.

All is well though. And that four hour backup only seemed like three hours and forty-five minutes with my wonderful new toy to help pass the time.







So what's on my Ipod? 3646 songs, 541 podcasts, and 7 TV episodes. (I haven't figured out how to reformat my movies to get them on there. That will come later.) I have found that I really like that podcasts from places like Nature and the Discovery Channel. Science stuff is cool. A lot of it is pretty short stuff. A hundred or so are just a minute or two long. I figure that once I find what I really like I can pare (pair?pear?) it down some. But for right now...I am in "exploration" mode. Plus I seem to be using a lot of quotation marks in this post. Sorry if that throws you off. Deal with it. What's with all the drama this morning?! Maybe you should see someone about that.









Anyway. Found out this week that our mechanic at work will fix Sheila's car for about half what the garage wanted for doing the job. So I need to get the van towed out to his house to get that done. Maybe today I can work on Hana's car.








But just to show you all that I'm not a big ogre, Sheila is driving my truck and I'm driving a little Ford Ranger that my neighbor had just sitting doing nothing. My truck has air plus it's got a back seat so it works better for her right now. See. I'm not so bad.





Work has still been slow but next week one of our drivers is on vacation so the rest of us are taking an extra run or two to cover the slack. So next week will be lots of hours for me. Should be anyway. COOL! I can use the overtime.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

i didnt know it was illegal to drive with earplugs in! what about those people that drive with those phone thingies stuck in their ears???

how the hell can you have that many songs on your ipod? i dont even think i know that many songs.

i hope you have a happy father's day!

Mom said...

Ipods are too complicated for me. I listen to the radio.
You should pay attention to the weather. There have been several scary storms and I don't want to read about you in a turned-over truck in my morning newspaper.
No one would ever mistake you for an ogre. You are just a big soft teddy bear.

John said...

Kimmy, headphones are illegal because they block both ears. Bluetooths, or is it Blueteeth, only block one ear. I don't know that many songs either but hey, music is music. It'll hold up to 20,000 songs, but the tv shows and podcasts drop that number some. It's not half full yet.

Mom, I like the radio at home but on the road, I hate changing stations all the time. And "soft teddy bear"? Teddy bear maybe, soft NEVER! Can you say blue twisted steel?

Unknown said...

You faked me out with the similar titles of your last 2 posts. I kept checking but not seing anything new...Blha!

Music and the additional things like tv shows and podcasts would certainly help with the tedium of trips. I enlist my tiny little mp3 for my walks because sometimes its just downright boring without it.
When in doubt over technological questions, ask a teenager.

AM Kingsfield said...

you know you can get a cable to play your iPod on your car stereo? I hate earplugs. I only listen to mine on speakers. Even if your truck only has a cassette player, you can rig it to play your iPod. Ask Mark about it.

I'm so happy you got this fun new toy!

Anne said...

Do you have a tape deck in the truck? You can get an adapter for a tape deck to plug into your ipod headphones connector. They should be about $15-20 at Target/Walmart.

My husband has 12,000 songs on his iPod.but not near the number of podcasts and tv shows you have.