Monday, June 30, 2008

Two calls

I got two calls today and neither one made me happy.

First was from a broker. I was on my way to Woodstock, IL to pick up a load of pallets to take to Columbus, OH as my backhaul, and had called the shipper not an hour before to make sure of where he was located, can I park there overnight, and all that stuff. He says, fine, park by the Schneider trucks and we'll see you in the morning. My broker for that load calls me an hour later and tells me that the shipper has canceled the load since he doesn't have enough product to make a full truck load. Could he not have told me that on the phone when I spoke with him? I pulled off on to the shoulder, no worries, it was a wide one, and the talked to the broker as he told me he had another load for me that weighed a little more, picked up in downtown Chicago anytime after 8AM but the delivery time is in Columbus at 130AM on Wednesday. Not sure why it's at such an odd hour but there you have it. So here I sit in Russell, IL at the IL/WI line waiting for the morning. Easy day tomorrow and it'll probably work out better anyway.

Second call was from my wife. She went in for a biopsy last week and went back this morning to get the results. The doc said he wants her back in two more weeks cause they want to send something off to someone else for more testing. Seems she's got a spot in one of her tata's that raised some questions. As I understand it, she has cancer. She doesn't seem too worried about it. the doc's say they could not have caught it any earlier. If you were to rate cancer from 1 to 5, 5 being the most serious, apparently she's between 3 and 4. They want to do more tests to pin it down. So the treatment would either be medications or a lumpectomy. A lumpectomy? "What do they want to cut me out for?" Needless to say, I was not happy about this call. But she seems ok with it. Maybe she's just not as attached to her tata's as I am.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Trucker:
I found your blog via Mom's via Rosemary and Sling.... I am so sorry about your wife's diagnosis. There is so much they can do nowadays so if possible try not to worry so much. Easier said than done, right. I lost my mom to b-cancer. She was elderly though and it came back after 13 years. I have to go in every year for that wonderful check, but it must be done. That was a very good thing your wife kept up on her exams. Keep us posted

fatcaster said...

Hey, John --

I enjoy your blog. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

A few years ago docs found
"something" on one of my wife's you-know-whats. Turns out it was calcium deposits, not the big C, and easily removed. So hang in there.

10-4 on classic rock.

Fatcaster / million-miler

Mom said...

I am glad she is fine with it - but I am going to pray that all is well very soon.

MarkEC said...

I hope you have had a lot of happier phone calls in the past week or so. I am going to go with mom on this one.

AM Kingsfield said...

The docs have a lot in their arsenal on this one. Even so, of course you are going to worry. She's had enough to deal with lately. I'm so sorry.

Unknown said...

Crap! I'll be thinking about you all. Sending powerful good thoughts!