Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Ta Ta Update

Ok. I know you have all been waiting with baited breath for the update so here it is.

Sheila, our daughter Hana, Sheila's best friend Melinda, and I all went together to the James Cancer Center in Columbus. No problems getting there, even though Melinda asked if I wanted to borrow her GPS. I said, "I don't need no stinkin' GPS", while wearing my sombrero and bandoleers.

Very nice facitlity and the nurses were fabulous. Very compassionate and understanding. Amy was by far the funniest and friendliest. The doctor, not so much. As a matter of fact, we all found him a bit rude. I personally think he was just covering his butt. Or maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe his dog peed on his persian rug this morning, or the heated cup holder in his Beemer wouldn't work. I don't know. But I have a hard time trusting a doctor that won't look you in the eye.

But the news was good. He said the margins were good on the mass that was removed and he did not recomend a mastectomy, although I think Sheila had geared herself up to be ready for that eventuality. He said that we shoudl proceed with radiation treatments and that if coming off the estrogen was going to be a problem then she should not take the Anti-estrogen therapy. They are nor dependent on one another.

So there we are. Sounds good. After he left the room, his nurse Amy stayed behind and was very understanding with Sheila's concern. I have always thought, and this just reinforces my beliefs, that the nurses are the real healers in the medical world.

So here's to you all and stay safe and get that Mammygrammy done, unless off course your a man. Then go get that other thing done. You know. The one we all fear? But men, do you know why we fear that exam so much? We're afraid we might enjoy it too much. Then what would that say about us? Bite the bullet, get in the car, take the bullet in with you, and when you here that glove snap on, bite the bullet again. You'll feel better later. But at least you'll feel better.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

i am so glad she / y'all got good news.

good news indeed. i'll continue to send good vibes and prayers your way.

i think it's when doctors work in a field where they see that sort of thing, you know....life changing diseases/illnesses they have to become somewhat hardened otherwise you can't do it.

it doesn't make it right, but...i've worked with enough ob/gyn's to know you just can't cry everytime you get bad news...it drains ya.

but good news for you!

Mom said...

I like hearing god news.

Unknown said...

I don't think Mom slipped there with the "god" news, do you?
Glad to hear it too!

Anonymous said...

God is answering our prayers. Amen Tkr. John...AMEN!

Anne said...

three cheers for good news!

i'm up-to-date on the mammygrammy, thanks. remind me again in December.

AM Kingsfield said...

I know I know... I'm behind schedule. I'll get it done soon.