Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mr. Fix-it

Kimmy has said this before. Apparently, women get excited about a man helping out around the house. Why my mother never told me this, I'll never know. It might have saved me a lot of trouble, and made me a happier fellow. But it's true. I found that out again today.

I fixed the washing machine.

Earlier this week the washer quit draining or spinning. I hate working on appliances, but I've learned a few things about it from a previous job I had in Texas and worked with a fellow who could fix anything. So I had a little bit of an idea about where to start looking. And I found the answer fairly quickly.

You know that switch right there on the top that stops the tub from spinning if you lift the lid? That switch broke in our machine. I needed to check and make sure the switch was bad before continuing on and, alas, it was. So, I pulled the switch, took the wires off the contacts, stuck the two wires together and wrapped them up with electrical tape.

Viola! Working Washing Machine! The only thing now is that if you lift the lid, the tub does not stop spinning. So If you're ever here for a visit, and you decide to do laundry, don't stick your arm in my washer. I may have a new switch on by then, but I may not. You never know.

But I do know that my wife is very happy. In her words, I have just scored some major brownie points.

Now, I'm working on my daughters laptop. Maybe she'll be happy enough to clean her room.

Maybe not.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

Now if you wash and dry the laundry-dude you are in like flynn. (whoever that is)

Mom said...

I love a man who can fix appliances. Your mother probably told you and you weren't listening.

AM Kingsfield said...

If I ever come by for a visit, I promise not to do laundry.

MarkEC said...

Don't try that "remove component and twist wires together with tape" on your daughter's laptop.. the results will not be as rewarding as with the washing machine! :-)

Anne said...

I'm not sure I've ever stuck my arm in a washer at someone else's house. Are you supposed to?

Daughters are never happy enough to clean their rooms.

Unknown said...

Bravo!
Uh, I have a door that won't latch...what can you do?