Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A day late, but much much richer

I should have blogged about this yesterday...but...it didn't happen. Travel, work, one thing or another. But I was the first one to make the call. I called her before she called me. So there!

I remember standing with some friends of mine in the sunshine on a bright June day and watching this gorgeous young woman walk across the grass towards me. My college roommate at the time, Bob Reece, commented on how beautiful she was. I could not disagree. She was all in white and had some lovely flowers in her hands. What they were, I can't remember, I was looking at her face.

My father stood behind me, waiting with the rest of us. All my family was there, including a grandfather who is now 96. Plus more friends than I ever thought I had.

And she certainly was gorgeous.

And she still is.

It's been 25 years since that day in June and though she deserved better than she got, I never deserved as much as I received. And I will always be thankful that she said yes when I said, "Will you marry me?".

She has been a wonderful wife and an unbelievable mother who will move heaven and earth for her children. I hope for 25 more years with her and the light that she brings to my life.

Happy Anniversary, Sheila. I love you.

6 comments:

Terry said...

That was very lovely! Happy Anniversary !!

Mom said...

You are such a romantic!
Laurel & Gary celebrate their 25th next week.

Indy said...

Congratulations and may there be many, many more years to follow

Sheila said...

Thank-you honey. I love you too.

Unknown said...

Contragulations, and yes, John, you do deserve her and all the good things that have come into your life! You are blessed!

julie said...

John and Sheila, I love you and I am so glad that you found each other. You are perfect for each other.