Friday, February 20, 2009

OH MY WORD!

Can we get any busier? Life has just been ridiculously busy. I seriously do not know how single parents do it. We both have been running like crazy for the past three or four weeks and it's all I can do to keep going. I get home in the afternoon, and it's run here and then there and then back over here and then...by 7 pm I'm ready for bed. Just wishing I could crash.

Haven't been feeling good lately. One of those colds and coughs that doesn't make you sick enough to stay in bed but just wears you down.

So what's new?

The door on my pickup broke...again. I've jury rigged it a number of times, and did so again this time. But I'm fairly certain this is the last time. After this comes a new door. The sheet metal where the door latch is attached is too thin and the door is so big that it rips the sheet metal after too many times shutting the door. So what's the magical number? Don't know what it is, but I hit it. In the past I was able to fix it so the door shut good and I just had to be careful about shutting it too hard. Now, it won't shut all the way. It'll latch but you get a lot more wind noise. I need someone to run into my door with their car so I can get it fixed. Any takers?

Hana just called a while ago from town and said the headlights on the van won't come on. Not sure what that's all about. We've had a problem with the dash in that van for a few months now. The van runs just fine. It's just that every now and then, the dash gauges will quit working. No speedometer, no fuel gauge, nothing. We're lucky Hana or Sheila hasn't run out of gas yet as a result. But Hana's been good about putting gas in it when she thinks it's getting low. The gauges will be off for a few days and then voila, they're back. No rhyme or reason to it. Oh well. It's paid for.

Both mine and Hana's cell phones have been eligible for upgrades for a while now but we liked the little 8300 that we both had and just hadn't upgraded yet. I've been looking at that Blackberry Storm and dreaming a little and this past week the time came. Several planets aligned for this to occur. The tax refund came back, my phone started acting up, and Verizon had a special, buy one Blackberry, get the second one free. So being the primary line on our account, I was able to get a pretty good discount for the Storm, and then got Hana one for free, which really cheered her up some from the funk she's been in since she lost her special Princess, and canceled the broadband card that I was using in my laptop while I was on the road. I can tether the Blackberry to my laptop and use that as my broadband access. So I've been trying to get the software on the computers and get it all to sync properly and figure out the tethering deal. I guess I got it working cause I'm using it right now.

And Tuesday we had two new foster kids arrive. Hopefully they will be able to be here for some time. Two brothers, nine and six. The younger is autistic and so we'll have a little bit more learning to do about how to best help him? I may be calling on you, Anne, for some tips. They seem to be pretty good kids overall, and once we get them in the school, which should be next week, things should settle down quite a bit. But the ages fit right for them to share a room with both Preston and Isaac and so it appears, let's not get our hopes up, that Sheila and I may get a room to ourselves again. Wouldn't that be nice? I am not looking forward to moving two boys into my room, Hana into their room, and Sheila and I into Hana's room, but basically, I just do what I'm told. Mostly. Why not just a two room move instead of three? I don't know either.

I think I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I'm tired just reading your daily life. You are a very busy family

Unknown said...

Craig got the Blackberry Storm too a couple of months ago. They told us we would have to pay $60 a month for the broadband access to use it with his computer. How are you getting it to work. We would love to know how, because he can't get my wireless card away from me without me kicking and screaming.

Anne said...

Hi john, please call or email if you need help with the autistic boy. I'm not sure how much I can help, but I can be here for you. Miss Evans has the phone number, you know her, right?