Monday, February 23, 2009

Our memory is a mysterious thing. I have, along with kazillions of other people, recently gotten involved with Facebook. And here's an interesting thing that I have discovered. I knew it before, but this brought it home.
When I remember someone, I remember them as they were the last time I saw them. Not really surprising, but this includes their age. If the last time I saw you you were 8, then I would always think of you as 8, even though I KNOW that it's been 20 years since I've seen you and you can't possibly still be 8. You'd have to be like, 32, wait, that's not right. 8 + 20 = 28. Yeah. 28. That's it. You'd have to be like 28 years old. You might have gotten married and had kids or hijacked a plane or something else that normal 8 year olds don't necessarily do.
And yet there is still a bit of a surprise when I see a picture of a 28 year old that was 8 the last time I saw them. Weird, huh. I wonder why that is. And here's another thing. My Dad has a full head of hair that is completely gray now. But if you asked me to bring my Dad to mind, his hair would be sort of salt and peppery. Even though I see him nearly every year and it's been completely gray for some time now. Again, I wonder why that is.
So I'm sitting in Gary, IN right now, gonna finish this up, maybe watch some TV on Hulu and go to bed early. I'd like to be rolling about 3 or so but I'm not setting the alarm. I haven't been feeling all that well for a few weeks now and I'll wake up when my body says it's ready to wake up. My wife said though, that it would be very helpful if I was home tomorrow by 5:15. Preston has a Dr's appointment. Now get this. She says I should be home by 5:15, but his appointment is at 5:15. And it's 35 minutes away if the deer aren't running. Does she have some new form of transportation that I don't know about? Maybe one that travels at the speed of light? Maybe that's why her headlights aren't working.
The police never showed up Saturday night. I called them and told them it wasn't an emergency though so I shouldn't wonder. We had some pretty good ice in town and folks were sliding everywhere. One of said folks slid into my yard and hit the guy wire that supports the telephone pole on the street lawn. They didn't bust it, but they did pull it out of the ground a little and frayed the wire some. I figured somebody would want to know about it. Hence the call. Maybe they came after I went to bed.
Sheila and I are disappearing this weekend, so if I don't post before that I may not post again til next week. It's been too long for us to have some time together and we figured the easiest way to do that was to go away from home where nobody can bother us. We're not going far. Probably to Columbus and just getting a hotel room. We'll see. Sharing a room with two of your kids sucks, but it looks like that's about to change. You may see me walking down the street with a new spring in my step. Ok, that's it. See ya next time.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Last time I saw you I believe you were about 18. I'm always surprised when I look at the picture of the the guy who claims to be you.
Wonderful that you and Sheila are getting away for the weekend. We used to go all the way to Baltimore for the weekend. It was away from house full of responsibility and it was wonderful.

kimmyk said...

i dont have facebook-i'm afraid who will find me. maybe they feel that way about me too?!?!? nahhhh.

enjoy your time away! i hope you both have a great/relaxing time!