Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Princess

My wife is not a complainer. Never has been and probably never will be. So when I ask her how her day is going, 9 out of 10 times the answer is fine or okay. So I knew something was up yesterday when I called her back in the afternoon, a couple hours from being home, and the answer I got to that question was "Not so good".

We had spoken earlier in the morning and the answer at that point was "I've had better days".

See, Princess had spent the night in the kitchen because she had been having diarrhea. Sheila thought it was over but apparently not. She woke up to about 15 puddles of diarrhea all over the kitchen floor. When we spoke, she was trying to laugh about it and not let it gag her down. I told her to try to get Princess into the vet to see if they could find the problem. Then I signed off and we went our separate ways for the day.

So when I got the "Not so good" later in the afternoon, I knew something was up. Seems Hana and Sheila had taken Princess to the vet and the news was not good. The vet said she could run a bunch of tests but from what she was seeing it appeared that the diarrhea was a side effect of the pain medication that Princess was on. It's some pretty strong stuff and everything else we've tried hasn't worked. She would spend the nights getting up and down and whining and crying, too uncomfortable to sleep. The diarrhea would not go away as her system adjusted to the meds and anything else would not help her pain.

So, my wife and my daughter, over many tears, decided that Princess was suffering more than they could justify allowing. The time had come to allow her to rest in peace.

Princess was 14 years old. She had severe arthritis, was nearly blind with cataracts and was going deaf. She had lived a good and happy life andwas a great companion to our family and my daughter in particular. We were remembering her yesterday afternoon and we got her as a puppy when Hana was 8 and in second grade. Now she's 22 and a junior in college. Princess has been right there with her all those years, except for a couple three years or so when she lived with my parents. We had moved and were unable to keep her in our rental house. But when we moved again she came home to us. Thanks Mom & Dad.

Yesterday was not so easy. Actually, yesterday was hard. This afternoon I'm supposed to go pick up her ashes. Maybe things will get easier.

8 comments:

Mark Krusen said...

Damn,
I feel your pain in your post. I went through this last year too. It's amazing how attached we can get to our pets. Hope things get better soon.

Mom said...

I'm sorry. Wish I could give you a hug.

AM Kingsfield said...

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss, but you will always have your memories to hold dear.

julie said...

John, I am so sorry!

Anne said...

Blessing on you and your household. I'm sorry for you.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you honey for remembering her in your post. It is another way she can live on in our hearts.

kimmyk said...

aww this totally brought me to tears.

my heart goes out to you all.

oh this just makes my cry!!! i'm so afraid of the day i have to put either one of my dogs down. i commend you for thinking of her instead of yourselves. i hope i'm strong enough to say goodbye when that time comes.

big hugs to your family.