Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Too many links

When I was a student, many, many moons ago, I was required to add footnotes and sources at the bottom of any research paper that I might happen to write. I was also required to make sure that footnotes and sources were at the bottoms of the papers that I paid someone else to write. It's called being responsible. Document your sources. that's what we were told. tell us where you got your information from. And am I having problems with a capital T on this keyboard? But that's another question.

In this modern age of hyper information and mega-blogging, the hyperlink has taken the place of the footnote. You know what I mean. For example, if I wanted to tell you how my work out program was going I might send you to this site here and let you see for yourself. But therein lies the problem. Once you go to that site, you may find something there that attracts your attention and never find your way back to my most entertaining blog.

And so we address the problem of "multiple links". This is a true story. I swear to...well, I'm not allowed to swear to Him, but let's just say I promise this actually happened.

I'm sitting in the Petro in Racine again checking mail, blogs and such and I see, by way of Google Reader, Mickey’s written a new post. So I go there and start reading. Mickey is most entertaining as well as being informative. But Mickey has a link to another page about underground goods transportation and so I go there to check it out. In that article I see something about harmful batteries and figure that’s worth a look and so off I go again. I mean, come on. What’s next? Battery control? Seven day waiting period for a D cell. Only two days if it’s a AA.

Fighting my glasses, which keep falling down my face, I read about the problem with the electric car and why it has no future. It’s in the batteries see. They take me to the Tesla Roadster as an example and I’m off to the races. Sorry bad joke.

Tesla says, “Hey! It’s not a converted Lotus Elise” and so I wonder why and go here and then here and then here and then here and then here and then here and then here and then here, and I’m thinking, yeah, right, and then she takes me here, and since I’m a blog man I go here just to see what she has to say which she doesn’t. It’s what others have to say. So I wonder to myself and I’m off to this page. I see Akron, which is close to home, so I go here. Which takes me here, and then here and then here and then here and…

I could have gone on but that was when I realized that this world will never be without trucks. Can’t you see? Follow the links and you’ll see that it all comes back around to trucking. Trucking. The link that keeps us rolling. Hey, I like that. Maybe I’ll copyright it.

Now I need to go back and finish reading Mickey's post. Then I'm going to bed. I can't keep this up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I arrived on this page because one of the links above is my website and I was curious to know who gave me a "footnote". Probably I will never come here again and probably you will never come on my page again, since, indeed, there are just too many links on the internet. But I wanted to tell you that I enjoyed a lot your post.

Mom said...

John, I just linked your blog from my blog. I tagged you with a mime. You have to look at my post to find the rules.

Anonymous said...

Good words.