Monday, July 14, 2008

Could be a lot worse

I guess you would call it good news although it could have been even better.

The results are back and Sheila does have cancer. The good news is that it is apparently the lowest form of breast cancer that one can have. It's called DCIS or Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. The website at Breastcancer.org says "In the staging system that doctors use to classify cancer, DCIS is known as Stage 0. And it is sometimes called "pre-cancer." You may also hear it referred to as Tis, which means that the cancer is non-invasive. Tis stands for "tumor in situ" or "in the same place.""

So she has to have a "lumpectomy" and get about 5 or 6 treatments of radiation and the doc says after that there will only be a 4% chance that it could return. The doc also said that they had a cancellation for this Wednesday and if there is going to be a radiologist in they will do it then. Otherwise it'll happen on the 30th.

I would have preferred that it had been a spot on the film or a penny she swallowed as a kid or even a dinosaurs tooth, but I think we can deal with this. I really can't believe her attitude though. She seems so at peace about the whole thing. As if it's no big deal. Me, I'm not doing quite so well with it. But better than I was when I first heard I guess. Prayers are very much appreciated.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have our thoughts and prayers John. Hang in there and keep the faith.

Anne said...

Peace be with you both, blessings on Sheila for a complete recovery.

Anonymous said...

You both are on my prayer list now...it will be ongoing...many miracles and blessings to all of you. In Him do we trust!

Keep us posted please.

Middle Child said...

My younger sister had this - she is fine now after 6 years - but make sure they follow up - tell her no more mammograms okay - Ductual Crcinoma in situ ( in the milk ducts) is spread by mammograms...when she needs check up tell her to ask for ultrasound which will pick up anything which may develop in the glands and also stop the destrcutive compression of the breast which is not good for those with the sort ofncancer your mate has...all the best.

Unknown said...

She sounds like the marvelous wife you love so much with her attitude and perhaps that is why you are so scared.
Terrible scare but sounds like it can be managed. I hope things went well on Wednesday.
You both have my good thoughts and I'll keep on sending them.

Mom said...

You and Sheila are covered by many prayers.

Anonymous said...

I just said a prayer for her. Wishing you both strength through this time.