Saturday, July 26, 2008

This is getting old

I wonder sometimes if my sons doctor is a little bit of a hypochondriac himself. My son sees him. My sister-in-law takes her son to him. We have a few friends that take their kids to him and it seems that he finds something wrong every time. I'd like to go back to our regular family doc but she moved her practice and it's a bear getting in to see her.

My son has diabetes. Prick yourself 6 to 10 times a day, five shots a day diabetes. It's pretty rough for an 11 year old and he's having a hard time getting a handle on it. We're working on it and learning things about it. But he went to see Doc E yesterday and he puts him on a "Stop Light Diet For Children". He says if he doesn't get control of it he won't live past 20 and his kidneys are already struggling and the blood work looks like they are beginning to shut down. the funny thing is that when his sugar drops he acts like he's stoned. he got some Sweet Italian Sausages out to eat last night and put them in the microwave for about 1 minute. these are the kind that are not pre-cooked. So they're sitting on his plate all bloody and warm and about half pink and half white and looking really nasty. Not realizing his sugar was down I fussed at him and said,

"You can't eat those. For one thing, you're not allowed to eat sausages anymore and for another thing, they're not cooked."

"OK." and he goes into the dining room and tries to log in on the computer. He can't figure out his password.

"What are you doing?"

"Huh?"

"You need to put the sausages away."

"Ok". He continues to try to log in

"What are you doing?"

"Putting the sausages away."

"No you're not. You're on the computer."

That's when it hits me. His sugar is dropping. So I drag him back into the kitchen and check his sugar. It's down to 50. Not good. Give him 3 glucose tablets and fix him a peanut butter sandwich. Check it again. 54. Better but not good enough. Wait a few minutes. Check it again. 227. What! Hint: Don't try to prick a finger without wiping off the peanut butter first. Check it again, on a clean finger this time. 74. Coming up. Fifteen minutes later he's up to 97 which is about where he should be. He goes back now and tries to log into the computer under his account. I'm watching him making sure he's okay. He can't get logged in because he keeps messing up his password so I'm worried again.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I just keep messing up my password."

And then I notice. His password is about 30 characters long. I ask him what it is and he tells me. (I have that power, you see.) It's a complete sentence! Subject, verb, and object type sentence! I'd have a hard time logging in stone cold sober!

I laugh and tell him he might want to pick an easier password. I mean, who's he trying to keep out?

So we are learning. We can't eat like we've been eating but if it's what you know then it takes some education to learn what you can eat. I've been perusing the American Diabetes Association website and there is a lot of good information there but again, one has to learn how to think in those terms.

He goes to Doc D, his endocrinologist, on Tuesday and Sheila is going to talk to her about this diet and what the bloodwork says. So we'll know more then. Tuesday is going to be a busy day.

Meanwhile, go check out the pictures that Kimmyk takes. Just absolutely beautiful. I really like her style.

Today is the AMA's Vintage Motorcycle weekend at the Mid-Ohio Racecourse. It would be cool to go but the tickets are $20 a piece and for 6 people that adds up in a hurry. Maybe we'll go to the mall. I think we all just need to get out of this house. It's too nice out there.





An old, old picture. Back when I thought a lot of my hair. You like that watch band? HA!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard for kids to go through all they do with diabetes. He sounds like a great kid.
Speaking of kids, love the pix of you years ago...were we too cool at that age or what?!
Praying for all of you.

kimmyk said...

wow how scary with your son. i choked when i read "50". i hope his endocrinologist gets his insulin under control and offers some suggestions for better eating habits..but when they're kids like that-they have no concept of healthy. abbie is 15 and to her dinner is a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa or a frozen pizza and a pint of ben and jerry's. (i am so not kidding either!) no matter how much we try sometimes they just don't get it.

but juvenile diabetes sucks. plain and simple.

thanks for the props on my pics.that was really nice of you!

this coming weekend i'm going to be in mansfield hopefully shooting in the prison. i'm so excited!

AM Kingsfield said...

Hey, I know that guy in the picture! My favorite Wamava cook (well, besides Mama T)

You guys surely have had your share of medical crises. I'm sorry for all your hassles. How's Sheila?

Mom said...

You were so cute!
Blessings on the boy and all of you as you try to cope with the diabetes.

John said...

Cs: I was particularly cool. Much cooler than those around me. Just ask AM. She'll tell you.

Kimmy:We may have to start locking the food up to keep him out of it. He's already lost about 70 pounds since this all started. Not in a healthy way either, but he's more active. When you're shooting in the prison do you have particular folks you'll be aiming for?

AM:Sheila is well. The final answer appt. was moved to Friday so we should know more then.

Mom: Yes, you are right. But I think the word you were actually searching for was studly. Or maybe Hot. Either one works. Cute was not what I was shooting for at that time in my life. ;)

julie said...

I remember that guy...we used to hang out in the kitchen singing and telling stories, making food, and washing dishes....and we laughed til our sides hurt. Thanks for bringing me back there....I loved that time in our lives!

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear of all the health issues for you. It can take a toll on everyone. I hope things level out soon. It helps you all are so tightknit a family.