Thursday, June 21, 2007

4Real?

I was reading an article on the web today about this couple from New Zealand who wanted to name their new baby "4real". You can check it out if you'd like but the article basically states that the government of New Zealand won't allow them to do this since "numbers aren't allowed".

Now I would never put my kid through the trauma of living their entire life with a name like 4real, Satan, or Adolf and I think that any parent that would should really be questioned regarding their parenting capabilities. But the one thing I do have a problem with is the government stepping in and saying "No, you can't do that." Now I also realize that this wasn't the US that made this decision but our government entities have made some choices that were just as bad.

There is this woman in Columbus, OH who may lose her plate because society has changed around her and the online world has invaded the offline world. "NWTF". "Northwood Tree Farm", "National Wild Turkey Federation", "National Wind Tunnel Facility", "Noxious Weed Trust Fund", "Nuclear Waste Task Force", "Northwest Water Treatment Facility", or the impolite form of "Now What The Freak".

Maybe it's just me but I get really irritated when any form of government tells me what I can and can't do, even if I calm down later and see how they may be right about a certain issue. It stills irks me that they want to tell me what to do. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. Does anyone else feel that way? Maybe it's just me.

Well, ya'll have fun. Just pretend you're all in Antilles with Anne and she's picking up the tab. Does that work?

3 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

You a curmudgeon?
Nothing irks me faster than someone telling me I can't do something. That's why I had to leave the Churches of Christ. Too much on their "can't" list.

Anne said...

If you're pretending, then it works for me, come on down!

John said...

Curmugeon. Big word for an old trruck driver, huh. and Anne, I'm on my way.