Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Jewel

Her name is Jewel. She is one of the sweetest women I have ever met. I don't know how long she has been in this area but I believe it has been most, if not all, of her life.

She has been a member of the church I attend for much longer than I have and she plays the piano quite beautifully.

She is a bit older than I and I have never seen a couple more in love with each other than her and her husband. He started coming to church with her in the last couple years when she was dealing with cancer. I teased her once about waiting at the church for her boyfriend to pick her up and she said, "No, my husband. He's the only one I've ever loved." This coming from a woman in her mid 60's. She didn't mean to embarrass me but I regretted my glib comment.

She is a beautiful woman and I'm sure she turned a lot of heads as she grew up.

When I was off work due to my heart attack and diverticulitis she and her husband were a great encouragement to me emotionally and financially.

If one were allowed to pick one's mother, she would be at the top of the list. One of those women that you really look up to and pray to God that your daughters grow up like her.

She went home tonight.

We're gonna miss her around here and I'm sure we'll see her again, I'm just not sure when. But she's home now and all her worries are gone.

I'm a little envious, I think. Just a little.

Well, maybe more than a little.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Nicely said John. Sounds like someone I look forward to meeting.