Monday, October 1, 2007

Right?

I have determined that the favorite word of a seven year old is “right?” Yes, with the question mark (?) included. The question mark must be included with the word for it to have a proper place in a seven year olds lexicon. I see you asking why. Why is “right?” such an all-important word to a seven year old? Let me give you some examples.
“The concrete (actually it was blacktop) is warm on my feet, right?”
“If I step in the dog poop that would be gross, right?”
“I can clean my own room, right?” (This one being answered in the negative, actually. At least that is the appearance of things.)
“I once puked through my mouth and my nose, right?”
I have often wondered why kids ask this question when it is actually more of a statement. (See last example.) How should I know if puke came out both his mouth and his nose? Yes, it has happened to me, and the memory of it is not a pleasant one. But that was many moons ago and I doubt my seven year old has been stealing bottles of Old Grandad Whisky. I certainly don’t keep them around anymore. Man, that was one bad ski trip.
Anyway, let’s get back to subject at hand. The word “right?”.
Well, actually, there’s not much more to say on the matter. I guess I was just making an observation. Preston has a tendency to use this word in his sentences as though he were replacing the period with it.
I guess I can deal with “Right?” easier than I can deal with “Snap!” That one just bugs the snot out of me.

4 comments:

Anne said...

I think "snap" is a better alternative than some of the other options. Thank goodness my 12yo doesn't use it, right?

Mom said...

You're a father,"right?"

Unknown said...

Laughing...

Anne is right. Better than the alternatives.

I have always hated "my bad" but then I started using the geek version "my badness" and got laughs so I annoy everyone now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.