Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Home again. Home again. Jiggety...nevermind

Well, I’m back from Texas and back into the truck. Sitting in Indianapolis right now and getting ready to get some sleep. Didn’t sleep well last night due to the storm that was blowing through the Midwest and a truck fire in the truck stop. (A driver’s bunk heater caught something in his truck on fire and it was put out fairly quickly but since he was parked fairly close to the fuel islands it was a little hairy for a bit.

I had such a great time. I took notes and wrote things down that I thought you might find fun or interesting but here today I’ll just give you an overview.

Flew into DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) and rented a car. A first for me. The car rental I mean. Returned it the next day and traded for one with cruise. I didn’t even think they made cars without cruise anymore. But alas, at least they do if it’s a PT Cruiser. Nice car, but with a 1000 miles to cover over that great state, I needed cruise. I didn’t need a ticket. Ended up with a Dodge Avenger. Does that sound like a manly car or what?

Granddads party was fun and I saw family I hadn’t seen in many years. He’s 95 now. He’s pretty frail and I don’t know how he keeps going but he does. My mother rode around Texas with me and we had a good time seeing the sights, chewing the fat, and eating out.

Monday. Fort Worth Botanical gardens with a visit to the Japanese gardens.

Tuesday. Off to Abilene. Dropped my mom at my Aunt Donnie’s house and then went to Julie and Tim’s. Fun was had by all. It really was a blast. Julie, how can one not age in 25 years? I don’t get it. Stayed their Wednesday and left Thursday.

Thursday. Picked up mom and headed for San Antonio to see my sister. Met her in Fredericksburg, TX and spent the day shopping, walking, eating, and my favorite sport, people watching. Did I mention it was Spring Break? Crowded. Hoowee!

On to SA and had a great Easter weekend. Visited with a friend who is now widowed and living in a seniors complex in Boerne, TX. Sheila and I lived in her and her husband’s basement for several months shortly after we were married.

Monday we headed up to Weatherford and stayed a couple days with my cousin Terri and her husband Tom. Beautiful fun people. Saw nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, great uncles and a partridge in a pear tree.

Wednesday through Sunday we stayed with my Uncle David and Aunt Bess, two of the most hospitable people on the planet. Uncle David runs a State Farm Agency in Weatherford and he took off what amounted to two and a half days of work, or so it seemed, to spend time with us and show us the sights. David & Bess, I love you both. Even though they forced me to drive their Mercedes convertible.

Saturday was Uncle Lloyd’s wedding and it was a hoot. He’s such fun and family flew in from all over to see the nuptials. He’s 83 and she’s 74. Two good-looking people. She really is quite pretty.

Flew home Sunday and it seemed as if it was going to be an adventure getting home but I actually got home sooner than I had planned. More on that later. The family was happy to see me and we had a good night Sunday night since Monday at 4am it was back into the truck and off to St Louis. The kids were a little disappointed, well, Preston mostly, because the gifts that I brought home were in my checked bag, which due to the snafu at the airport, wasn’t going to make it home until Monday or Tuesday. Don’t tell Preston but he got the boots he was wanting. He didn’t get the spurs though.

I know the last question that you all have is “Has Lucy come home yet?” Sad to say the answer is no. I can only hope that someone found her and took her in and that sometime soon we will be reunited. She’s a real sweetheart and I miss her.

I will try to give you a fuller version of the trip as days go by. It took me two days to get through my Google reader and so I just read and didn’t comment. Have fun and I’ll let you know when we are moving. NOT!!! I would, but Sheila’s here for a while since most of her family is within 8 blocks of my house, and it would not be near as much fun in Texas without her.

4 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

Cool car picture! Are you considering a convertible now? You've got the perfect hair for it!

Mom said...

Welcome home. I love a man who enjoys spending time with his mother.

Unknown said...

Yes, welcome home. Love the travelog and will look forward to upcoming posts.
And I hope you have gotten this outta your system so I don't have a big hole in my blog reading.
Dodge Avenger- nice. Probably seemed a bit small after a huge truck?
What- no bobbing-head armadillo?

Anne said...

welcome home! i miss your comments!