Wednesday, April 30, 2008

More Texas Pics

Weatherford, Texas Farmers Market with the Parker County Courthouse in the background


Parker County Courthouse


The County Line Barbecue. This is where my sister and I ate (and people watched) when we went to the River walk in San Antonio.


This tree is growing out of the wall along the riverwalk having been rooted there somehow during a flood in the past.

"Remember the Alamo!"


My attempts at artistic photography. A tree on Uncle Bob's place.


The barn on the old Wilkins property. No one lives here anymore since...


this is the house on the old Wilkins property. The roof has fallen in and it was so sad I just could not bring myself to shoot the whole house. But we shoot horses, don't we?


This house, or at least part of it, has been in my family for 107 years. My great, great grandfather built a small house right here in 1900 and this is the result of all the additions.
Also known as Uncle Lloyd's house in Poolville.


Where old Wilkins' go to die.
By the way, my mother says that big knot around the bottom of the tree is called a "gall". Guess you'll have to take her word for it.

8 comments:

CAM said...

Awesome pics. Nice to see such an old house still with the Family. People are still shocked that my parents live in the same house I was born in.

Here from Michele's (although it took some research, for some reason your link didn't work on her comment site)

Mom said...

Beautiful pictures. I especially like the black and whites. they almost make me want to go to Texas.

Unknown said...

Love those shots, John. You get an "A" for artistic expressions.
The Weatherford town photos are cool too with the building dressed up- reminds me of how men's western suits look.

I think I would love to see San Antonio and for sure Austin for some "Austin City Limits".

My dad's mom remarried after his dad died and they all moved to Odessa. Yuck, that was a yucky place but the west Texas landscape was amazing to a girl from Missouri. We also went to see the abandoned homestead but we got chased by a bull!

ac said...

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

John said...

Thanks all. They turned out better than I thought they would. Call me, Greeny, when you're ready to see Texas. I'll give you the grand tour.

kimmyk said...

i've seen that picture of the tree growing at another blogger friends um blog. so that must be somethin' to see. literally i mean. probably shocking to see that.

now, the black and white photos are very cool! i especially liked the barn photo. i'd love to see the original. and i really liked the one right below it. beautiful shots. looks peaceful there.

that's pretty cool that you know your ancestory. i have no idea where my family is from or anything.

thanks for sharin'!

Unknown said...

Noted, John!

Anonymous said...

I remember Uncle Loyd's house very clearly. The small garden in back with okra on the vine. The house was full of family and Dad told us boys to play outside. It was October of 1959 that Grandpa Joseph Elonzo was laid to rest in the Poolvile cementry.