Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm a documentary nut.

I'm a documentary nut. Anything informational and I love it. I used to watch a show on PBS called Adventures in Scale Modeling. Get a life, right?

I was watching a documentary the other day called 'The Devil Came on Horseback' about the atrocities in Darfur as witnessed by a UN Peacekeeping observer. I am not usually one that pays a whole lot of attention to the news and I found myself frustrated that I didn't know more about what was going on there. It was pretty graphic and quite disturbing but then I'm sure that was the point of the film.

It made me wonder. Is there anything that I am so passionate about that I will devote my whole life to? Would I be willing to give up my comforts here in America in order to make a difference somewhere else? And could I actually make a difference?

And then I think, I have, hopefully, made a difference in the lives a few kids here in this country, in this state, in this county. Is that enough? I guess I'm on an introspective roll.

Darfur. I will never understand why people do these sorts of things to one another. Never in a million years.

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

I am right with you John. I think it is important to make a difference where you can - and I think you have improved the world tremendously with all your generous love.
But I know what you mean. There are so many who need so much. Whole governments can solve the problems though. It's all so complicated with hatred at the core.
So I say sow as much love as you can.

Unknown said...

Well put, AM.
I would say the same about working where you can. Not all of us has themindset it would take to drop out of our regular lives and give everything to a cause as tremendous as somewhere like Darfur.
And here in the States there is so much to do for people who need our help and would appreciate it (not that it isn't needed overseas), I would probably help here before going overseas.

I would like to see a giant leap forward in teaching our kids about community service and the trickle-down would be felt all over our country and onto other countries. At least I think it would work that way....