Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tired Truck

I, along with most of the morning commuters in St Louis on Tuesday morning, had a bit of a dilemma to deal with. Of course our problems were nowhere near as big as those of the driver of this grain truck. Seems he laid it over right in the middle of the I-70 eastbound ramp where I-70 & I-55 come together and meet with I-64/40 to cross the Mississippi River. If you were trying to get into Illinois from 55 north or 70 east, you were out of luck. Luckily I had heard about it on the radio and after some map searching figured out how to get through the neighborhoods up to 64 and cross the river from I-64/40. I ended up passing right by the truck as I headed for home. I don't know why he laid it over, one would think excessive speed is most likely, but he could had a mechanical problem at a most inopportune time. The ramps right there are pretty sharp and can surprise you if you're not slowing down pretty quick.

Came all the way home Tuesday, 513 miles, and woke up to snow again this morning. Next week is my Chicago run and it seems that the easy, light, good-paying backhaul that I have been doing has been permanently assigned to another driver since he can do it every week. So now I'm looking for a new backhaul out of Chicago or Milwaukee. We'll see.

Nothing else going on. Next I am searching for flights that take off tomorrow going anywhere south. I don't care. Just south. Maybe, if they're lucky, I'll come back Sunday. I need some sun. Meanwhile...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wondered why the name "St. Louis" kept coming into my head...it was because you were passing by!
I am feeling your pain on the sun issue. I am fed UP with winter.

Good luck finding the sun and the warmth.

John said...

Sorry I missed you Greeny. The Dorsett Inn is my St Louis monday night hangout. Good wings, a couple beers and a good nights sleep. Swing by, I'll buy you one...or ten.

julie said...

You could come to Texas....we are having sun.

Unknown said...

Take the flight way south. Too many trucks overturned on I40 in Texas and Oklahoma due to the ice. Might I suggest St. Thomas and a cocktail with an umbrella in it.

John said...

Julie, it certainly is a consideration.

C&D, your suggestion is duly noted. I may forgo the umbrella though. Don't want anything stabbing my eye out as I slam that drink down.

Unknown said...

It's about 3 and a half hours to St. Louis from here. I might have to plan that a bit more in advance next time.
I like C and D's suggestion too!. I am tired of this cold, people.