Saturday, February 9, 2008

Men and PMS

My understanding of human anatomy is that men are incapable of suffering from PMS. Well, I mean enduring it themselves at least. This week I am wondering if that is actually true or not. I guess you could say it has been one of those weeks. My wife no longer suffers from pms so I know it's not sympathetic or anything like that. Although my daughter does, now is not her time. Believe me, I keep track.

No, the problem has been with me. I have been about as grumpy as a man can get and still stay out of jail. What's the problem you ask? (Maybe you don't but then that would mean that you really didn't care and what kind of person would you be if you really didn't care?) Seems like several things. Some I will not share here due to the personal nature of the situation, but some I seek your advice on. Once again.

My house has developed an open door policy. Neighbor kids, family, Jehovah's Witnesses, tax collectors. Nobody seems to knock anymore, they just walk right in. I sort of like the fact that kids feel comfortable in my house, but last night for example. Ben's out with his girlfriend, Hana's upstairs watching her anime, Isaac and Preston are off to the movies with a friend and Sheila and I are sitting in the living room watching old "House" reruns on DVD. Four people just walked in my house last night without knocking and even though they could see that we were watching a show together, they commenced to talk about this that or the other thing, taking up our time together.

One young girl had been sent down to our house to wait while her mother ran some errands. No call from Mom asking if she could come, she just comes walking in and it wasn't until later that we found out her mom had sent her down. Now admittedly, we have a problem saying no to people, and maybe we are suffering the results of that now. But what happened to common courtesy? I remember my folks used to have a bible study in their house at one time and a younger fellow got to showing up for the study earlier and earlier, to the point where he would be there an hour before the study was due to start. Mom and Dad are trying to get ready and he's occupying their time. Mom finally told him to wait outside one day. She said they weren't ready to have anybody come in just yet and he sat on the curb until they were ready. Not sure I could do that but sometimes I wish I could. Maybe I'll just start locking the door.

Sheila's been sick, I've been sick, work is slow so money is tight, taxes were due, or at least I wanted to get them done, and the weather has been crappy. Man,I sure sound like a grumpy old curmudgeon, don't I?

Enough of that. Life goes on, and if it doesn't, well, no more swinging door, right?

It's Saturday morning andI'm at the church building doing announcements for the Upwards Basketball program our church runs. I don't call the games but I do announce the players and play some music. Just trying to make it a fun time. I might play a devotional dvd during half-time, something a couple minutes long or so. Nothing to deep, just some thought provoking stuff. Most of the parents who come here with their kids don't go to church anywhere so this might introduce some thoguhts. It makes for a long saturdya but I enjoy it. It's only about 8 weeks through the winter and what else would I be doing, sleeping in? Yeah, right.

Well, I'll leave ya'll alone. Maybe tomorrow I'll sound like my normal self again. Until then, remember, "the odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one." ~Erma Bombeck

4 comments:

Mom said...

I knew I liked your mom. Now I have one more reason. You need a nap.

Unknown said...

John, I rambled so long on my comment just now, the computer got tired and erased it.
So I'll be brief.
You aren't alone in your thinking.
People can be inconsiderate, kids too. Consideration and conscientiousness isn't taught by most parents.

The house is run by the parents. What they want comes first. (Here I am taking my own advice- I reinstated my rule of no visitors during the week except in extreme cases- weekends are up for consideration). Being in control of the house should be parent's role and the kids are watching...

And there is always someone who will take advantage if allowed. I am cycnical on this point, unfortunately.
Here's to feeling more in control of your house. I'm on the same journey and I feel curmudgeonly as well. It's the time of year.

Unknown said...

Hhmmm, that wasn't so brief, was it?

AM Kingsfield said...

I agree. You are your home's and family's defender. THere is nothing wrong with circling the wagons sometimes. In fact, you must.
Say no. Lock the door. Curl up on the couch with your wife and let the world wait outside.

Easier said than done, I know, but I'm pulling for you.