Monday, February 25, 2008

Good News

I am sitting in the Petro again in Racine, WI, the snow is falling, (supposed to get somewhere between 5 & 8 inches when it's all said and done) and I am empty. All the stuff is off the truck, my back haul isn't due to be picked up until tomorrow night at 10 local and so I will sit here for about 24 hours.
Good news? Yes! Two reasons. Numero uno is that I don't have to drive in this snow. It's supposed to quit by early afternoon tomorrow and so I can just sit here and watch it fall, read a bunch, get caught up on sleep and relax. Numero twoo is that my dad called today.
"Two dates you need to put on your calendar, son", he says. He calls me son a lot.
"The first is March 16th. There's a birthday party being thrown for your grandfather (that would be my mothers dad) in Fort Worth. Since it's his 95th birthday it would be nice if you could be there." I agreed wholeheartedly. Mostly because it's Texas and not Ohio.
"The second date is March 29th. It's a Saturday and your Uncle Lloyd is getting married."
Now there's a couple things about Uncle Lloyd that you need to know. One thing is that he is 82 years old and is one of my most favorite uncles. He's the one who had horses for us to ride when we went to Texas as kids and he would take us in the back fields to the watering holes with his 30/30 and teach us how to shoot bullfrogs. then his wife, Mary Lou would cook up the legs and we'd watch them jump around in the pan. Good times. Some of the best that I remember.
His wife of I think more than 50 years passed away a few years ago and I didn't even realize that he was thinking of getting married again. Well, seems he met this little 72 year old hottie that he just fell for. He told my dad that she's real pretty and she's got the body of a teenager. Here I've been waiting around to get a call letting me know when his funeral is. Guess he's got other plans.
So I talked to my wife about going. She thinks I should take two weeks vacation, fly down by myself and hit both shin-digs, drive around and visit family and just try to relax. Life at our house has been pretty stressful as of late.
Hey! Maybe you, AM and Mark can fly down too, and we can drive out to visit Julie. That'd be cool. Shoot. Why doesn't everybody come. It'll be a hoot. (That's southern for lot of fun.)
Anyway, I checked flight costs tonight and they seem fairly decent. I think I may just do it. At least my feet will thaw out.

4 comments:

MarkEC said...

I like the sound of that... making it actually work may be a bit of trouble.. maybe I should have that Power of Positive Thinking book around here somewhere! ;-)

Mom said...

Uncle Lloyd is my kind of guy. At 82 there is no point in waiting around for anything. I'd come, but, well, it's in Texas.

julie said...

John, please come to visit! We would love to have you or if you need us to come to you...let us know. I can't imagine a more fun reunion. You can always make me laugh.

Unknown said...

Woo-HOO! What a great vacation for you!
Get packing! It's few short weeks away!. Got some shorts and flip-flops and a bit of sunscreen- what? It's not that warm yet?