Sunday, May 13, 2007

Observations

This is something that I have noticed over the last few years and it seems to becoming more and more prevalent. It really has me concerned and if there is anyone out there that is in a political position to help do something about it I sure would appreciate your help in this matter.
As you know I spend a large amount of time on the road traveling the highways and byways of this great country of ours and there is an epidemic of massive proportions that needs to be addressed. I have tried to contact several people in authority but it seems I have just been written off as a nut job or a simpleton. This hurts my feelings but I have not let it stop me in my campaign to solve this public safety dilemma.
It seems that more and more cars these days are being manufactured without any turn signal (or TSI) of any kind. I know, I know. I was shocked and surprised as well but it has become more and more apparent that these cars are leaving the factory without a turn signal that operates in any way shape or form. From all appearances they seem to be equipped with the required turn signal stalk on the steering column when they leave the factory and it would even appear that some of the cars actually have a working TSI when they hit the road. But it would appear that the system fails shortly after the car is purchased by an individual and driven for a short period of time.
Some other things I have noticed is that, and this is just my own observations, the more expensive the car the more likely it is that the On-board TSI, if it is so equipped, does not function. I have noticed older cars such as 90's era Oldsmobile's and Chevrolet's that have TSI's that appear to work fine but then the majority of Mercedes and Porsche's seem to have no functioning TSI's whatsoever. I have never seen a Rolls Royce with one that works.
I have addressed this problem to a number of congressmen and senators and I feel that I have just been brushed off. They speak to me as if I am an idiot or something. Now seriously, do I sound like an idiot to you?
I see these cars driving down the highway and I have even taken to looking inside the car as it passes to see if it has the appropriate stalk on the column and all of them do have a TSI stalk as far as I have been able to ascertain. And yet they don't appear to be functioning.
At this point I have a petition filed with the Department of Transportation and the American Automobile Workers Association as well as with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to try to initiate an investigation into this horrendous oversight in safety for the publics well-being. I'm not trying to be a busy body but it also concerns my own safety. I can't tell you the number of times I have had cars dart into the lane that I was occupying with no warning at all. Now considering that Chicago and DC drivers are ranked among the most courteous drivers in the world I have no other option than to assume that their cars are coming to them without the requisite TSI's. Surely they wouldn't be just ignoring those wonderful convenient stalks that hang right there on the steering column and are so useful and handy while making turns and changing lanes. That, my dear friends, I refuse to believe.
So please, if you do nothing else this year, join me in this fight for public safety. Call your congressperson. Call your senator. Call your President even. Let us not allow this travesty to continue unabated. Let us join the fight for public safety. Whether the public wants it or not! That is all.

2 comments:

julie said...

So funny!

Mom said...

Strong John, you still tell great stories!